Churches in Goa are a mixture of Indian and portugues culture. Read about Goa Churches.
Churches In Goa
One of Goa's important institutions, Goa's famous and magnificent churches are largely a legacy of Portuguese colonization Church building was one of the main occupations of the early Portuguese and in fact one of Vasco da Gama's main missions for finding the sea route to India was to "seek Christians and spices". Christianity was forced upon with religious fervor by the Portuguese during the period of the "Inquisition" with wide scale destruction of temples and this continued till the official end of the "Inquisition" in Goa in 1812. Most of Goa's churches were built on the very site of former temples.
The confiscated lands of the temples were handed over to the church and the communidades. In fact, the first Hindu temple allowed to be constructed by the Portuguese in 300 years was in 1818 at Panaji. With a significant population of Goans being Christians for many generations today, the Church is an important factor in Goa's social , cultural and religious life. For example, the contribution of the Church to education in Goa is immense. Today the churches are all part of the Archdiocese of Goa and function with its help, many are also protected sites
Rachol Seminary And Church:
It was established under the sponsarship of King Sebastian of portuggal and built by the jesuites between 1606 and 1610 to train Goan priests. Later, its reputation grew as a center of learning. The Seminary church is dedicated to St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the jesuites sect. The church's most striking feature is the carved and painted wooden panel covering the sides of the chancel. One of the side alters also exibits the "Menino Jesus" that was initially kept in colva church and later shifted to seminary. It is located 7Km from Margao, near the Raia village.
Located in chandor Village, Barganza house was built in 17th century. This huge house is situated on one side of village square. It has now been divided into two separate houses, with a common entrance.
The east wing, occupied by the Pereira-Braganza family, has a small chapel with a relic of St. Francis Xavier, which is a fingernail. The artrfacts , collected by the family over a number of years have added to the beauty of house. There is a great Salon, a large ballroom with the floor made of Italian marble, antique chandeliers from Europe adorning the ceiling, and heavily carved ornate rosewood furniture. What stands out among the furniture is a pair of high-backed chairs, bearing the family crest, which was given to thepereira-Braganza family by king Dom Luis of Portugal, Most of the furniture dates back to the 18th century and is made from local seeso, lacquered or inlaid with mother of pearl by craftsmen from Cutorim Village. For antique aficionados, the house holds many delightful finds.
The west wing of the house belongs to the Menezes Braganza family . Apart from its exquisite furniture and chinese porcelain from Macau, it also house a collection of family portraits, dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries. The library is believed to be the first private library in Goa. It has almost 5000 leather bounds books collected by Luis de Menezes Braganza (1878-1938), a reputed journalist, renowned for the part he played in Goa's independence movement.
Tip: Contact the respective families for a good guided tour of the house, which is open six days a week. Although there is no entry fee as such, the families would expect you to contribute towards the maintainance of the heritage building.
Se Cathedral Church:
One of the most ancient and celebrated religious buildings of Goa, this magnificent 16th century monument
Ruins of Church of St. Augustine:
This highly visible landmark, a 46m-high tower served as a belfry and formed part of the facade of a magnificent Church.
The Church of St. Anne at Talaulim, Ilhas:
Of all the churches in Goa, the most ostentious and notable for its excellent architeture is that of St Anne.
Basilica of Bom Jesus:
This is the only church in Old Goa, which is not plastered on the outside, the lime plaster having been stripped off by a zealous Portuguese conservationist in 1950.
Reis Magos Church:
The small hamlet of Reis Magos lies on banks of the Mandovi river and is home to two famous landmarks of Goa - the Reis Magos fort and the Reis Magos Church
St. Cajetan Church: The large and beautiful Church of St. Cajetan, lies about half a kilometer away to the north east of the Se Cathedral, and quite near the ruins of the Viceregal Palace
Church of St. Francis of Assissi:
To the west of the Se Cathedral is the former palace of the Archbishop that connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assisi.
Church of St Paul:
It was started as a seminary of the Holy Faith for training young converts by two priests Diogo de Borba and Miguel Vaz who had established the Santa Fé confraternity.
Church of Mary Immaculate Conception:
The church was one of the first to be built in Goa, certainly being there by 1541.
Request a Quote For Goa Tour
Copyright © Goa India Tourism.com . All Rights Reserved.